Have you ever had deja vu? That uncanny feeling that you've experienced something before? Well, I have. In fact, this is one of those moments. I have started this blog and taken it down a couple of times. Maybe it's true what they say-the third time's the charm. The skepticism is overwhelming. I have been hesitant to start again. Let me walk you through my hesitancy-
1. All of my past experience has taught me that there is something magical about having only 3 readers. And by something magical, I mean something really depressing. I love those 3 readers, but they're the people I talk to on an almost weekly basis anyway.
2. Blogging takes a sort of vulnerability that I'm not always willing to put out there. I want to be honest with all of you, but I'm also afraid. I'm afraid that the things I express won't be consistent with each other. What if I post something one day, and my opinion changes the next day? Those of you who are familiar with my past blogs remember that sometimes I'm deep, insightful, spiritual and artistic. But then there are posts like "Electric Snuggie" or "Well-cultured Thug". No consistency. No theme.
3. Motivation. Now this is a real problem. When am I ever motivated to sit down and spill my soul to what is possibly nobody, or possibly a room full of strangers? (which is worse?) Am I a morning motivated person? A night owl? Neither. Both.
4. Inadequacy. I love words. But I hate to write because I hate to read my work. It never turns out to be what I had envisioned. I can never consider it finished. This is rough draft after rough draft after rough draft.
When I was young, I was very shy. I preferred to be alone with my books. I never tried new food. I never wanted to meet people. I never cared to travel-not even for a sleepover with my cousins across town. At some point I got tired of letting that fear control my life and I made the decision to not be afraid. This was revolutionary. I became a thrill-seeking adventurer. I have faced each of my fears one at a time.
My stories are meant to be shared. And I suppose now is as good a time as any to start. I just want to be honest with you, dear reader. And honest with myself. So I'm giving this a try again. Help me not be afraid.
No comments:
Post a Comment