All this hype about hashtags is actually something I really like. To me, a hashtag is like an intrapersonal thought web, and it is just great. Naturally, the most recent hashtag that has caught my attention is: #itwasmom. I thought about writing a nice facebook status or instagram and using it to honor the month of celebrating motherhood and my own mother's birthday, but let's be honest, I have far too much to say for those concise types of social media.
I can think of numerous occasions when out shopping with my mom that a stranger has stopped us and said, "oh, this must be your sister.." in reference to my mother. Of course she always gracefully accepted the compliment and I'm over here like, "Do I really look like I'm 30 years older than I actually am?"
Her gorgeous golden hair, brilliant blue eyes, incredibly clear and even toned skin, and kindness that radiates from her being- yes, these things make her look young. But it's more than that. She embodies a spirit of youthfulness in general.
Who was it that started the dancing and singing at random times and places? #itwasmom. Who taught us to demonstrate our household dominance by pompously displaying the winning score of whatever game we had most recently played? #itwasmom. Who was the culprit if your toast turned out perfect and you step away from it to make chocolate milk, return to the table to find it missing? #itwasmom. Who stashed Double Bubble bubble gum in the car, the cupboard, or the top of the closet? #itwasmom. Who cut the brownie right out of the middle of the pan? #itwasmom. Who taught us that baked goods taste better after 10 pm? #itwasmom. Who was always laughing so hard she cried when we did silly things?#itwasmom. Who was it that burst into our room singing the BYU fight song at the crack of dawn? #itwasmom. Who had an uncanny knack for finding smiley faces on food items, like cucumbers or BBQ flavored chips, or carrots that look like creepy fingers? #itwasmom. Whose idea was it to put a danceroom and a party room in our house? #itwasmom. Who always organized events and hosted parties? #itwasmom. Who was it that told us we always looked beautiful in our pageant dresses, even though we really looked tacky? #itwasmom. Who was always full of games, songs, good ideas, and supportive of every single decision I've ever made? #itwasmom. (I can say that in complete honesty:she has always been supportive of me whether my dreams were to own a hotel chain, join the Air Force, go to Princeton, or go to the Middle East...)
Right now mother dearest is reading this and shaking her head in denial and embarassment. She's laughing because she knows it's true, and she's turning red because she doesn't think those are her best qualities. But they are. Let me tell you why. My mom is undoubtedly the most fun mom to ever exist on the planet. She makes everything fun. There was always dancing, games and laughing involved in daily chores, homework and other monotonous activities.
Don't mistake me here, my mom is not lazy, oblivious, naiive or flighty. She is hard working, very educated and organized, AND fun..
I can also honestly say that she has never raised her voice at us. We actually teased her about it quite a bit as teenagers, because instead of yelling, she just gets this really tense tone that we call "the stress voice".
She is always patient and kind. She never makes a scene. These attributes are what make her so successful in her chosen career and ever so popular in grocery store checkout lines. She will have a wonderful and inspiring conversation at Wal Mart or the DMV and when I ask "How do you know that person?" She almost always responds, "I don't, I met them in line just now." She knows how to make everyone feel loved, even if you've just been beaten in an extremely competitive game of Rook.
My mother is so Christlike. Even when we get in little arguments about politics she always calls to apologize and say "I love you." she really is a great example of being, "submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon her,"
As an heir of her love for genealogy, I recently read an excerpt from an obituary of one of her ancestors. The traits described are also reflective of my own wonderful mom. It says of Sarah Pauline Clark Crosby: "A smile and a kind word for all, she was courteous to everyone, which showed she had a mind imbued with goodness, justice, and generosity. She possessed affability, which is an ornament more beautiful than the finest jewels or clothes. She had that love of beauty and refinement which belong to every true woman and a gentleness which was like the silent influence of light: giving color to all nature. Her modesty was a setting to the diamonds of talent and genius. As a wife, she was ideal, a devoted companion, sympathizer and sweetheart....her husband owed much of his success to her clear understanding, mature judgement, and steadfastness of purpose. He seemed to know these facts as, generally speaking, her opinion was asked and her approval sought after and her judgement respected. As a mother, few equaled her. She was self sacrificing, loving, tender and true. She did all in her power to make life pleasant and happy for her children and at the same time carefully guide them in paths of truth and rectitude. As a homemaker, she was a wonderful friend and consultant. As a neighbor, kind, obliging, and generous..."
I simply cannot express enough gratitude for my amazing mother-the woman who teaches by word and example that love is real and that nothing is impossible. She understands and lives the doctrine of Christ more than anyone I know. I am so grateful that God has granted us an eternally enduring friendship.
Happy birthday to my beloved mother!!
This is was SO great! And SO true! I was laughing so hard at your #itwasmom paragraph - I had forgotten that she was a stealer of perfect toast...probably because my toast never turned out perfectly. But I can't believe how beautifully and perfectly the words of Sarah Crosby's obituary define our mother. We are so blessed to have such a wonderful woman in our lives!
ReplyDelete