Last Saturday we volunteered at a Youth Center. It was so
fun. When we got there, there weren’t any kids, but they slowly started trickling
in, wary of the seven towering light skinned strangers that were waiting for
them in the courtyard. After a while they started warming up to us, and we
decided to play some games with them. We had intended to have two of the boys
from our group teach Tae Kwon Do (sp?) but we thought we’d play some games to
get the kids warmed up and relaxed while we waited for others to come.
We started with a variation on “Duck, Duck, Goose” substituting
the words, “Falafel, Falafel, Shawerma”. The kids had remembered playing it
with some students last year, and they were ecstatic. We sat in the circle, a
couple of my classmates explained the rules, and then the craziness began. It
was so cute. And so funny. Right off the bat, the first kid to be “it” picked
me as the “shawerma” which really took me by surprise. I thought maybe he’d
pick one of his friends, someone he felt comfortable with. Nope. Me. They
picked me 3 times right at the beginning and it was literally a surprise every
time, (which I suppose is the point of the game, but you know I haven’t played
it in a while.) We laughed so hard when after a few minutes all the kids were
saying, “I’m shawerma! Me! I want to be shawerma!”
We played that game for probably 30 minutes. And when one
little girl sat next to me, she just wanted to talk to me. I don’t speak
Arabic, but she was going on and on and on and I don’t know what she was saying.
My best guess is that she was saying she wanted to make another variation on
the game, where the person who is “it” picks a leaf and then instead of tapping
on the head they give the leaf to the person they want to chase them. haha The poor
little girl couldn’t grasp the fact that I didn’t understand her because I don’t
speak Arabic. I kept shrugging and saying, “I don’t know!” and then she just
started from the beginning again. We went through this at least four or five
times. She just wanted to be by me, and when she sat by me, she just wanted to
touch my arm and to sit right next to me in that personal space that never gets
crossed. She was almost sitting on my
lap at one point, I think she would have except that would have ruined the game
and she would never have been picked as “Shawerma”.
After a while, we tried playing some other games with them,
like Simon Says, the Human Knot, and the Ninja game. But the little girls were
having nothing to do with those games and they wanted to play games they
already knew. For example, we played “Ice Cream” which is the most pointless
game of tag ever invented. The person who is “it” is trying to tag people, but
if they’re coming for you, you just have to clap your hands together and say,
“Ice cream!” and you’re safe, but you’re also frozen, so someone has to come
unfreeze you and then you can run to your hearts’ content. We played another
one that was kind of like “Cops and Robbers” except there was no goal. It was
basically just “run as much as you can, as fast as you can and as far as you
can until the person who is “it” throws you in prison”. Haha. It was so funny.
We never even ended up doing Tae Kwon Do, the kids were
having so much fun playing games with us that all we did was run around with
them and they were happy.
I’ve been thinking about that first little girl, who was
trying to tell me about her leaf game variation. It never perturbed her that I
couldn’t understand. She would just start over again and we’d go through the
same conversation. She never criticized me, never got frustrated, and never got
disillusioned by the language barrier. She just simply loved me. Even after my
roommate (who does speak Arabic)
told the little girls I don’t speak Arabic, they didn’t exclude me or think
less of me. They mostly just smiled and grabbed my hand saying, “Missy, come!
Play! Run! Ok! Stop!” One by one, they asked, “How are you?” and “What’s your
name?” and practiced the little English they knew. I felt pure happiness and innocent love
radiating from them.
Children are proof of what the basic human needs are. Later
on, when the little girl slipped on the tile (oh how I wished we could take
these kids to a place like Rock Canyon Park to run in the great open fields of
soft green grass instead of the cramped little courtyard made of tile and rock)
she hurt her elbow. At first, we didn’t know how severe the injury was, but
upon inspection we found there was no bleeding or broken bones, she was probably just a little
bruised. But she wanted to cry. And she wanted to be hugged. Isn’t it great how
simple children are! The cure for a bruised elbow is to simply love the pain away!
The most profound truth and simple truth is that the world’s
problems could be solved if we could each just love each other with that pure
and innocent and healthy love that children use. We could heal the pain and anguish of a hurting soul if we simply love the pain away.
It reminded me of something Princess Diana said, “I think
the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease
of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half
an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I
want to do that.”
Because of my limited language ability, I can’t tell those
kids I love them. But I can show it. There is an international language of
smiles and laughs and happy playing. Children are such miracles, such blessings,
and such great examples to me. It is little wonder that Christ invited the children to hear his words and come unto him as he taught the crowds,
“Of such is the kingdom of God.”
Photo Credit: Jace Norton. The best photographer in our group.
Photo Credit: Jace Norton. The best photographer in our group.
No comments:
Post a Comment